[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights'

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Jun 3 17:46:30 EDT 2015

On 6/3/2015 1:14 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> Finally: Legacy Registrations. Legacy registrations are not hampered
> by an ARIN contract - they don't have one. This means a legacy
> registrant would not have to overcome anything written in the RSA.

As a holder of legacy address space, I really had no interest in having
ARIN take over the registry that held the records of those assignments,
but as long as they were correct, I grudgingly accepted that outcome
(interestingly, ARIN then managed to subsequently change the records for
one of the blocks even though such a change was never requested.. it
actually made consolidating my holdings easier, but it shouldn't have
happened).

I am pretty certain that I can sell these addresses to whomever I want,
whenever I want. It does appear that if/when I do, ARIN may choose to
not update the records in the database they've chosen to maintain (and
others have chosen to depend upon) of legacy address registrations. That
will be bad for the accuracy of that database, and might make the buyer
a little nervous, but with a bill of sale with my signature on it, they
should be fine, and perfectly able to use the addresses internally and
to announce them on the global Internet.

Or the buyer might instead choose to sign a contract with ARIN and have
the records updated in accordance with policy. That'd be fine too, but
as a seller of legacy space I could really not care less.

Matthew Kaufman