[arin-ppml] On USG 'granting of rights' (was: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 3 16:05:08 EDT 2015

On Jun 3, 2015, at 3:44 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
>> You could have made a motion for standing with the judge and argued that
>> Nortel did not have the right to transfer without your approval, and in that
>> case you may have had the decision you say you want. Instead you negotiated
>> with Microsoft to accept changes to the proposed sale agreement which
>> provide the fig leaf of cover for ARIN to claim that this was an in-policy
>> transfer.
>
> Exactly.

That’s not for ARIN to do - it would have been for Nortel to continue to hold to their
original claims of "property interest” and that legacy numbers are not subject to ARIN’s
transfer restrictions.  Given that they had significant additional address holdings that
were to become part of bankruptcy proceedings to follow, there was every incentive for
them to pursue such claims, if indeed they felt their arguments had sufficient merit.
(I do not believe that they were subscribed to PPML, perhaps the additional legal
insights would have made the difference?)

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO