[arin-ppml] Registry functioning (was: Re: ARIN-PPML 2015-2)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 3 14:25:16 EDT 2015

On Jun 3, 2015, at 1:33 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On the contrary John, I (of course) place great value legal frameworks, however I strongly believe that such legal frameworks must be created to allow for the entities operating within that framework to perform the functions for which they were created.
>
> It is unfortunate ARIN appears to view such functions as secondary to the legal framework (I seem to recall a similar situation with regards to ARIN's requirements to testing RPKI, but I'm sure I must be mistaken).

David -

    You obviously feel very strongly about this topic, but I haven’t been able to
    discern what you feel ARIN or the ARIN community should being doing in
    this respect.

    If I understand your view on the matter, you are concerned that current ARIN
    registry policy as developed by this community results in “registry inaccuracy”
    (as noted, I disagree with that premise but we’ll use your terminology for now)

    I don’t think that you are advocating for ARIN not to follow the community-
    developed policy (although you were not quite clear when directly asked that)

    Note that there are not many other options -

    1) Are you simply strongly advocating that community on this mailing list should
        change the registry policy such that there is no needs-basis for transfers?

    2) Alternatively, do you believe that the community should not have been allowed
        to establish any policy for transfers, as registry policy has historically been with
        respect to the allocation/assignment role of the registry, and the ongoing role of
        registry administration and maintenance should not have any applicable policy?

     If the latter (#2), would that belief mean that there should also be no policy setting
     a minimum block size for transfers or required contact information, etc?    There is
     some manner in which you feel that ARIN has cast aside proper registry functioning,
     and I am trying understand if it is consternation with the ARIN community over their
     policy choices or a structural belief regarding the application of registry policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO