[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Tue Jun 2 11:48:07 EDT 2015

First a diversion:

I continue to hear RFC2050 used to buttress the continuance of needs testing
today.

It should be obvious to anybody that *in the presence of a free pool* that
without needs testing transfers, you effectively remove needs testing
altogether.

Otherwise someone could get addresses, transfer them away to a needless
entity, and repeat the process to drain  the pool. A non-starter, obviously.

So of course we needed to needs-test transfers then, but the argument today
is in the context of a drained free pool, and so the logic behind RFC2050's
testing of transfers is likewise draining away.

Onto this discussion:

What is happening in this discussion is, in my mind, the tail wagging the
dog.

It's as if your local property registrar in your county has determined that
when you buy a property, you are really buying the listing at the
registrar's office.

Instead of the fact that you are buying real property and the registrar is
merely registering your ownership, not providing your rights to it. Just
because IP addresses are not tangible, like real property, doesn't mean they
only exist as database entries in a registrar's list. Especially as we have
demonstrated that that list is not dispositive insofar as being able to
utilize or transfer rights to utilize the addresses. We all know that ARIN
is not the routing police.

What David and other are saying is that your rights are to an exclusive set
of numbers to be used on the Internet, not to a registry listing. And as
proof of that position, they point to the fact that address rights are
transferred very effectively without regards to the ARIN registry. There is
no denying this. Legacy sellers legally sell their rights for money, buyers
pay money and then use the addresses as they wish, and ARIN's registry has
nothing to say.

ARIN has played typical historical role of the over-reaching steward who
comes to feel the resources being stewarded belong to the steward and not
the king.

So the answer to John's question of what is being transferred?  The
exclusive right to use a block of numbers on the Internet, deriving from a
continuous chain-of-custody of rights granted legally by the US Department
of Commerce. For legacy holders, anyway. For non-legacy holders, their
rights derive from the RSA with ARIN, and ARIN's rights derive from their
MoU with the US Department of Commerce.

Imagine a thought experiment. I have a pool of 100 mutually exclusive
numbers of which one is a lotto winner. I can sell each number to a buyer
without a registry but with a contract. If I sell the same number to two
individuals, those individuals can take legal actions based on the contract
that assures exclusivity. So there are legal rights to numbers conferred via
the contract that do not have anything to do with a registry. I might use a
registry to keep track of things, but that is secondary to the legal rights
contractually conferred.

Imagine a though experiment. I received an allocation from Jon Postel,
acting under the authority of the US Department of Commerce. I have an email
from him with the block numbers I was assigned. I use the addresses for five
years but then find that they were not properly recorded by Mr. Postel, or
were incorrectly transferred to a subsequent registrar like ARIN.  Can't I
take the original email (the contract here) to a judge and demand that the
registry be changed to match my email?  Or, since the rights are "provided"
by ARIN, wouldn't I be out of luck, since the rights are to a registry
entry, and the entry doesn't match my email? In other words, which is
primary, a contract granting me exclusive use of numbers on the Internet, or
ARIN's control of their registry system?

A registrar records property rights, it doesn't create them.

Regards,

Mike Burns