[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jun 2 09:04:49 EDT 2015

John,

On Jun 1, 2015, at 4:48 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>   Your confusion is likely over what represents “correct attribution” - if ARIN does not
>   operate the registry according to the policies set by those who use it,

In your view, who uses "the registry"?

Do network operators, anti-abuse community members, law enforcement, consumer protection agencies, etc., make "use" of "the registry"?

>   One can argue that the ARIN community shouldn’t have policies that inhibit transfers

One could, but I am not. I don't care if "the ARIN community" comes up with a policy defining the sky to be green.  There are numerous mechanisms by which the ARIN community can enforce policy such as a prohibition against (particular) transfers: refuse to delegate reverse DNS, refuse to update the ARIN routing registry, imbed notifications of policy violations in registration records, call the out-of-policy transferees names, etc. None of these defeat the very reason for the existence of the registry. Refusing to update the registration database does.

>   but I don’t think you’re actually advocating that ARIN ignore community policy in the
>   operation of the registry?

The "community" that makes use of the registry is larger than "ARIN".

If the subset of the community that participates in the definition of ARIN policy decided to create a policy that effectively destroyed the registration database, yes, I would definitely advocate ARIN, the corporate entity (or, more specifically, the ARIN board), ignore that policy. I believe the board would actually have a fiduciary responsibility to do so.

I believe failure to maintain an accurate registration database (defined to be one that matches actual reality, not one that corresponds to what an infinitesimal subset of the Internet community thinks might be a good idea on any particular day) is a violation of the trust Jon Postel and the Internet community as a whole has placed upon ARIN when ARIN was granted the monopoly for registry services for the ARIN service region.

> Could you please clarify if that is what you are suggesting?

That ARIN abide by RFC 7020, section 2.3 and section 7.

One more time:

>> Historically, the point of the registry database was to facilitate management
>> of the network, e.g., a place you could look up registration information
>> when you wanted to contact the entity associated with the source address.
>> In the post IPv4 free pool world, what's the point of the American _Registry_
>> for Internet Numbers again?

Your continued attempts to dodge this question is getting depressing.

Regards,
-drc
(ICANN CTO, but speaking only for myself. Really.)