[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 1 17:06:03 EDT 2015

On Jun 1, 2015, at 4:36 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> So to be clear - ARIN does not confer a right upon registration to
> exclude others from routing an address block on the Internet.

Bill - That was my original statement.  You disagreed, and asserted the following

>> "a registration is most emphatically intended to confer upon the registrant
>> the right to -exclude- others’ use of those numbers within the routing
>> infrastructure on the public Internet”

So the question I’ve asked is:  What is nature of this legal duty imposed on
another  as a result of you receiving an address block?  (i.e. what is the “right”
that you claim parties receive with respect to the Internet routing tables?)

> Instead, the law itself confers that exclusive right as a consequence of the

> ARIN registration. Regardless, the registrant possesses the lawful
> right to exclude anyone else from using his ARIN-registered IP address
> on the public Internet.

Laws that convey rights are usually quite clear about doing so; it appears
that you are convoluting your expectations about how ISP’s should behave
with an actual legal right that is provided by statute or contract.   If that is
somehow incorrect, and there is some legal basis of the right that you claim
with respect to the "public routing infrastructure", then it would good to share
the relevant references with this community.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO