[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon Jun 1 14:06:39 EDT 2015

David Conrad wrote:

>>> snip
>
> While I guess it is true that if you view the "rights" in question as the
entry
> in the ARIN registration database (a very odd viewpoint IMHO -- very much
> the tail wagging the dog from my perspective), this seems a bit divorced
> from reality as reflected by the actual use of address space on the
Internet.

Since the RIRs collectively "have no say in routing" (or other actual use),
the database entry is the only thing that can be claimed under "rights".

> Historically, the point of the registry database was to facilitate
management
> of the network, e.g., a place you could look up registration information
> when you wanted to contact the entity associated with the source address.
> In the post IPv4 free pool world, what's the point of the American
_Registry_
> for Internet Numbers again?

To a first order I agree with you, but the more appropriate question might
be: what is the point of any RIR 'policy statement' wrt IPv4 post runout?
This entire discussion is about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Once the free pool is gone, the only real useful RIR activity is maintaining
a current database. Restrictive policies that get in the way of business
will be ignored, and the database will become stale.

Trying to "protect the public" from speculative activities related to IPv4
is actually stalling the adoption of IPv6. Get out of the way and let the
market operate. Once the price of maintaining IPv4 gets real, it will be
clearer to everyone why they should be moving away from it. Artificially
bounding the price through restrictive policies does not help.

Tony