[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Mon Jun 1 13:54:57 EDT 2015

On 6/1/2015 10:35 AM, David Conrad wrote:
> John,
>
>>> all we're talking about is whether or not ARIN will be recording this in their database.
>> I’ll observe that the rights are to address blocks in the
>> registry and that makes it rather challenging to assert any rights to the address blocks
>> unless those rights were transferred in accordance with registry policy,
> An interesting and worrisome assertion.

I agree. While by not bothering to register the changed usage of a
particular integer or set of integers in a database so as to avoid
policy certainly means that I lose my right to have that registration
look the way I (or others, including law enforcement) might prefer, I
don't believe that ARIN or any other registry has any power to prevent
me from using any integers I want in my own routers and network. And
assuming that I can find a provider willing to accept my BGP
announcement using those integers (which should be pretty easy, if the
currently-registered party writes a letter saying it is ok with them),
then those are the integers I'm using as "IP addresses".

This could be changed by the addition of laws, but I'm not sure we want
those any more than we'd want laws preventing me from using certain
integers as page numbers in a book (or even as made up driver license
numbers in a work of fiction).

Matthew Kaufman