[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jul 3 11:34:07 EDT 2015

Jimmy
Comments inline
I agree with many of your arguments, especially this one:

I would note that the current version of "out of region use" allowance (2015-5) is designed to restrict out of region use far beyond these constraints. It requires companies to meet criteria that are, in effect, a jurisdictional nexus test. This was added to the policy because a) of concerns about gaming access to the free pool, a concern that is no longer salient; and b) objections from law enforcement agencies who would like to align number resources with jurisdiction.

Although it might be possible for these provisions to mitigate that kind of opposition, the current policy is a step backwards rather than forwards in terms of actually allowing out of region use. I would be interested in hearing from community members whether they think the increasingly formalized "jurisdictionalization" of the number space fostered by 2015-5 is worth whatever gains might be obtained by formally approving out of region use for those who qualify

--MM