[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 20:37:11 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> Applying regional use constraints to AS numbers makes exactly zero
> sense to me.  If anyone feels there's a need to spell this out, please

As of now.....  there is really no pool of scarce IPv4  resources to
distribute according to local policies...

The purpose of having multiple RIRs in the first place, instead of one
global GIR    that can  allocate, register, transfer resources in any
region,   is greatly diminished.

I would suggest that ARIN perhaps begin to transform itself into a
global registry and drop the  "service region" idea   and   the
"region specific usage ideas"  for all resources and services.

Applying regional use constraints to *ANY* number resources  no longer
makes any sense;   it barely did for IPv4,  and  IPv6 is not scarce.

The only remaining utility would be  hierarchical distribution of IPv6
resources according to region,  to facilitate filtering.

It is questionable whether that will in fact be useful in practice.

I would suggest that Out of Region use be fully allowed for all
resources,  with disclosure of the caveat that  optimal routing might
be more limited for out of region usage.

The only hard constraint should be that the resource holder must at
all times provide and maintain a contact or agent with physical
mailing address in one of the countries served by ARIN,  unless,  or
until such time as there is a global registry.

Originally,  there was a concern that some orgs might "game" the RIR
system, by    shopping different regions  to obtain scarce IPv4
resources they might not be eligible for otherwise.

It's hard to imagine how it could be a concern now

--
-JH