[arin-ppml] 2014-1 Out of Region Use

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 25 20:04:19 EST 2015

On Feb 25, 2015, at 6:15 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> Back up and figure out what problem is being solved.  The primary reason
> RIR's became possessive about their territory was "absurd protection of
> their precious IPv4 allocations".  Rewind to the pre-RIR timeframe, and
> allocations were global, and use was global. The RIRs were brought in to
> simplify the process, not fragment it.

Indeed.  Regional Internet Registries provide for support in local languages
and with user friendly operating hours.  It is also true that RIR's can
provide support for regional registry policies that may be better adapted
to local conditions.

> Are we trying to protect the RIR's claimed autonomy over geography, or
> simplify the process of distribution for a global resource?

As I understand the origin of draft policy 2014-1, it would be the latter.
The original intent was to clarify the circumstances under which ARIN should
issue space to service providers who operate principally outside the ARIN
region.  The first attempts at policy in this area specified that parties had
to be operating within the region to receive resources and such resources would
be for use in the region, but that did not gain support. As a result, the
present draft policy proposes that any party having a minimal legal and
operational presence be provided resources, including those needed based
on the global need.

FYI,
/John

John Curran