[arin-ppml] Thoughts on 2015-7

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 20 17:05:19 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

> Still against it because it still applies to out-region transfers where ARIN no

> longer has access to it and CAN NOT revoke it for fraud when the attestation

> turns out to be untrue.

So I get what you're saying.  And you're right.  You and I petition ARIN, attest
that we forecast to use a /X, we're lying, and we transfer it out of the region and

ARIN is done with it - ARIN has no control over the block transferred out.

The disagreement I have with this view is that I don't want us making policy that

punishes the 99.9% of people who are telling the truth and just want to run their

network, so that we can somehow "catch" the 0.01% of the scammers.  I prefer

making policy which works well for bona fide network operators.  People will always

lie, and I do not believe it's ARIN's job to catch that.

Thanks!
David