[arin-ppml] Smalest ISP v6 Allocation

Mike Hammett arin at ics-il.net
Fri Aug 14 06:19:07 EDT 2015

If the smallest IPv6 allocation an ISP can get is a /36 (X-small or up to /20 in IPv4), but we have a fee established for XX-small (up to /40 IPv6 and /22 IPv4), why don't we permit an ISP to get a /40? Small providers may not want to increase their ARIN fees to simply be able to get their own IPv6 allocation. Seems counter-intuitive in getting everyone on the IPv6 train. It also falls on a clean boundary, so there shouldn't be any concerns with issued subnets.

If there's no good reason why we're not doing this, how to we start the process to allow this?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com