[arin-ppml] Automatic IPv6 Eligibility

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 13 17:35:15 EDT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 19:47 , Tom Samplonius <tsamplonius at ubn.ca> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 11, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Paul <pmcnary at cameron.net <mailto:pmcnary at cameron.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> We are getting ready to lose a /22 and /23 and 2 /24's when we switch from microwave data center providers
>> to fiber for our ISP that the data centers have been providing for us since the dial-up days .
>> /22 and /23 are no longer available. Will we have to pay the $100 annual fee on each /24 block allocated
>> even though nothing larger is available? Can we get an IPv6 allocation large enough when we file for AS number
>> for a several month cross over from microwave to fiber?
>

>   Keep in mind that a IPv6 /32 or /36 are very large blocks in comparison to a /21 worth of IPv4.
>
>   A /32 allows you to assign a /64 each to about 4 billion customers.

That’s really not a good idea in most cases.

For the most part, you should be assigning /48s to each customer end site. Some customers may have
multiple end sites (more than one building, for example).

Still, a /36 is enough to assign 4096 /48s and a /32 is 65,536 /48s, so they are still significantly larger
than a /21 of IPv4.

Owen