[arin-ppml] Automatic IPv6 Eligibility

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 12 11:53:58 EDT 2015

Gmail has failed me. :( It reverted my accounts->send-mail-as settings
to use an email server that hasn't been valid for the better part of a
year and then neglected to report that it couldn't connect and send my
email messages. Just lovely to discover that no one received mail from
me for 6 days. I guess my reputation for "prompt" replies is just that
bad.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Alfie Cleveland <alfeh at me.com> wrote:
>> I’m requesting comment in regards to automatically make organisations
>> eligible for IPv6 if they hold justified IPv4 space. This similar to
>> Section 9.3.1. of the [APNIC-127] APNIC Internet Number Resource Policies. I
>> feel that if organisations were able to receive a /48 for each /24 they
>> hold, then it would help expedite the rollout of IPv6. Organisations
>> currently have two choices - continue to use IPv4, or spend valuable time on
>> applying for IPv6 space. IPv6 space is clearly in abundance - and this could
>> potentially help slow the exhaustion of IPv4.
>
> Howdy,
>
> https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six581
> part a
>
> That's pretty much automatic.
>
> Making a sort of "a priori" assignment has been considered, but as I
> recall the problem was that IPv6 sizing works differently than IPv4
> sizing so the registry can't "a priori" know what size IPv6 assignment
> or allocation is right for a particular organization. We prefer they
> get all the IPv6 addresses they need in a single assignment so they
> don't ever need discontiguous assignments. So, ARIN has to wait until
> the registrant tells it what size they want.

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Alfie Cleveland <alfeh at me.com> wrote:
>> Apologies if I wasn’t entirely clear. As referenced in Section 9.3.1. of the
>> APNIC INPP, I propose that this also applies to end users - allowing end
>> users to, free of charge, receive a /48 for each /24 they hold.

Hi Alfie,

Two pieces to that:

1. free of charge
2. assign w/o consulting the user organization

#1 is something the I think current board of trustees gets wrong. ISPs
usually get the addresses free. They pay a single fee based on the
higher fee for their v4 or v6 allocation and the v4 allocation is
usually higher. End users pay $500+ and an extra $100 per year. $1000+
until recently.

I know this has put people off deploying IPv6 because it has put me
off deploying IPv6 on behalf of four different networks now. One time
the network owner flat-out told me that he had better ways to spend
the money.

Setting the fee to zero until IPv6 is well launched was the foundation
of my unsuccessful candidacy for the board
a couple years ago.

There have been fee discussions in this forum before, but we've been
told in very clear terms that whether or not ARIN charges for IPv6
addresses is off-limits as a number policy matter.

#2 is unworkable without #1 and may be unnecessary if #1 were in place.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us