[arin-ppml] Automatic IPv6 Eligibility

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue Aug 11 22:11:40 EDT 2015

----- On Aug 11, 2015, at 8:43 PM, Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us wrote:

> On 8/11/15 14:43, Alfie Cleveland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m requesting comment in regards to automatically make organisations
>> eligible for IPv6 if they hold justified IPv4 space. This similar to
>> Section 9.3.1. of the [APNIC-127] APNIC Internet Number Resource
>> Policies. I feel that if organisations were able to receive a /48 for
>> each /24 they hold, then it would help expedite the rollout of IPv6.
>> Organisations currently have two choices - continue to use IPv4, or
>> spend valuable time on applying for IPv6 space. IPv6 space is clearly in
>> abundance - and this could potentially help slow the exhaustion of IPv4.
>>

> I got my /32 IPv6 allocation in late 2009 and end user /48 in 2007 and I
> don't remember having to do much to qualify for them other than ask. Has
> this changed?

No. If you have IPv4 space already, it is incredibly easy to get IPv6. Getting the default /48 as an end-user is about as automatic as it could be, and qualifying for more is not much more effort if you have multiple sites.

The only issue is that for end-users, you now have to pay an additional $100 per year for the IPv6 assignment.

-Randy