[arin-ppml] Equality in address space assignment

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 15 12:00:54 EDT 2015

Jimmy,

Thank you for the well thought out counter argument.  I agree with a lot of what you say.  You've outlined what I think is the primary thinking behind conservation-based allocation practices that ARIN policy has been based on for 18 years now.

The problem I think I have is the results of those practices.
1) Lock-in by large providers
2) Conservation itself is a red herring, and has been for more than a decade.  80-90% of the addresses go to 10 companies.  That leaves tens of thousands of networks using just 10-20% of the addresses.  This math has been shown many times on PPML in the past.

Routing table growth is no longer mathematically valid, in my opinion.  We are just under 600,000 routes.   There are only 40,000 ASes or so (right?) in a typical DFZ.  Even a doubling of that would have no discernable effect on routing.  If youre running a catalyst 5xxx, it's time to upgrade.

Finally, I respect the RIPE and APNIC model of addressing:  everyone plays on a level field to start with.  You get a block, and try and grow your business/network.  At ARIN, this "you must be THIS tall" inherently favors the large ISPs and cablecos who dominate ARIN policy making (and have since the beginning), which results in lock-in, etc etc.

Just my opinion.  My original post was made in frustration when large ISPs got to the mic at ARIN35 decrying that removing needs-basis for small transfers was unfair.  Such hypocrisy (especially from those who already bought a /8!!!) is a sore topic for me. I will continue to fight for the little guy, borne of my 10 years working with them every day at ARIN.  The big guys don't need the help.

Thanks for listening,
David

David R Huberman
Principal, Global IP Addressing