[arin-ppml] "Don't ask" about Out of region use?

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:59:45 EDT 2015

During and after the 2014-1 (Out of region use) policy discussion, it was
pointed out that perhaps the real issue we're trying to address here is not
entirely a policy issue, but more of a staff practice issue. In particular,
ARIN changed their practice a few years ago to start asking where an
applicant intends to use the addresses they're requesting.  The reason for
changing practice was related to imminent runout and fraud concerns, and
it's likely that those concerns will be much less relevant after free pool
exhaustion.

So perhaps it would be better / easier if we requested that ARIN, after
IPv4 exhaustion, stop asking where applicants intend to use the address
space they're requesting to receive?

If we were to submit a request to that effect through the ACSP, would ARIN
staff be able or willing to return to the previous staff practice?

If ARIN staff were to do that, does the community feel that would address
the problem we're trying to address here, and allow organizations to get
IPv4 addresses via transfer to use wherever they need them in their global
networks?

-Scott