[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-1: Out of Region Use - updated legal assessment

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Apr 14 11:06:15 EDT 2015

There was a request to repost the updated legal assessment of 2014-1
which is going to be discussed here at ARIN 35 this morning.

The updated legal assessment is included in the Draft Policy text below
and can be found at:

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_1.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

## * ##

Date: 24 December 2014

AC's assessment of conformance with the Principles of Internet Number
Resource Policy:

This proposal enables fair and impartial number resource administration
by clearing up a significant ambiguity in policy and practice. This
proposal is technically sound, as no technical issues are raised by
permitting a single network operator to use resources from one RIR in
any region. This proposal is supported by the community. Permitting out
of region use allows operators with facilities spanning more than one
region to obtain resources in the most direct and convenient way, and to
utilize their numbers more flexibly and efficiently. The concerns of law
enforcement and staff raised by the first staff and legal assessment
have been mitigated by the latest amendments.

Problem statement:

Current policy neither clearly forbids nor clearly permits out or region
use of ARIN registered resources. This has created confusion and
controversy within the ARIN community for some time. Earlier work on
this issue has explored several options to restrict or otherwise limit
out of region use. None of these options have gained consensus within
the community. The next logical option is a proposal that clearly
permits out of region use while addressing some of the concerns
expressed about unlimited openness to out of region use.

Policy statement:

Create new Section X:

ARIN registered resources may be used outside the ARIN service region.
Out of region use of IPv4, IPv6, or ASNs are valid justification for
additional number resources if the applicant is currently using at least
the equivalent of a /22 of IPv4, /44 of IPv6, or 1 ASN within the ARIN
service region, respectively.

The services and facilities used to justify the need for ARIN resources
that will be used out of region cannot also be used to justify resource
requests from another RIR. When a request for resources from ARIN is
justified by need located within another RIRÂ’s service region, the
officer of the applicant must attest that the same services and
facilities have not been used as the basis for a resource request in the
other region(s). ARIN reserves the right to request a listing of all the
applicant's number holdings in the region(s) of proposed use, but this
should happen only when there are significant reasons to suspect
duplicate requests.

Comments:

a. Timetable for implementation: Immediate

b. Anything else

Current policy is ambiguous on the issue of out of region use of ARIN
registered resources. The only guidance on the issue in current policy
is Section 2.2, which defines the the role of RIRs as “to manage and
distribute public Internet address space within their respective
regions.” Some in the community believe this means out of region use
should be prevented or restricted, while others believe this is only
intended to focus efforts within the region and not define where
resources may be used.

Previous policy proposals have explored restricting or otherwise
limiting out of region use, but none have gained consensus within the
ARIN community. Several standards for restricting out of region use were
explored, but all of them were perceived as interfering with the
legitimate operations of multi- or trans-regional networks.

The requirement to have a minimal level of resources deployed in the
region (/44 for IPv6, /22 for IPv4, 1 ASN) is an attempt to respond to
law enforcement and some community concerns. An absolute threshold
ensures that those applying for ARIN resources are actually operating in
the region and not simply a shell company, but it avoids the known
pitfalls of trying to use percentages of the organization's overall
holdings to do that. The use of officer attestation and the possibility
of an audit is an attempt to prevent duplicate requests without
requiring burdensome reporting requirements.

In summary, this proposal ensures that trans-regional organizations or
service providers operating within the ARIN region may receive all the
resources they need from ARIN if they wish to do so. This change is
particularly important for IPv6. Requiring organizations get IPv6
resources from multiple RIRs will result in additional unique
non-aggregatable prefixes within the IPv6 route table.

#####

ARIN STAFF ASSESSMENT

Date of Revised Assessment: 15 January 2015

1. Summary (Staff Understanding)

This policy would allow out of region use of ARIN issued resources as
long as the requesting organization is presently an ARIN registry
customer and currently using the equivalent of a /22 IPv4 block, or a
/44 IPv6 block, or an ASN on infrastructure physically located within
the ARIN region. An officer attestation would be required to verify that
the resource request is not a duplicate of one made to another RIR.

2. Comments

A. ARIN Staff Comments

There are registrants in the ARIN region, such as end-users, who are not
necessarily ARIN members. The policy text has been updated to omit
references to ‘Member’, and is understood to refer to organizations
with an existing customer relationship & agreement with ARIN.

Current ARIN policy requires organizations to show a justified need for
resources to be used specifically within the ARIN region in order to
receive number resources from ARIN. If the draft policy were adopted,
ARIN number resources could be requested for use in another region.

When processing resource requests for use in another region under this
policy, ARIN staff would include any address space registered through
another RIR and currently used (or available to be used) within that
region in its evaluation of the organizationÂ’s justified need based on
current ARIN policy.

This policy adds a new requirement that staff review utilization outside
of the ARIN region, which will require additional time, and could delay
the review and processing of requests of this type as well as other
request types that ARIN currently handles.

This policy would be placed in the NRPM as "2.17 Out of Region Use".

[The following is an updated legal assessment of 2014-1]

B. ARIN General Counsel - Legal Assessment

Counsel has significant and material legal concerns about this policy.
Counsel recognizes and supports the issuance of resources to entities in
the ARIN region that need number resources that will be used in both
this region and in the remainder of the world. ARIN currently issues
resources for these needs based on a needs based allocation methodology.

However, this proposed policy removes the requirement that there be any
meaningful need for those resources in the ARIN service region, and
allows all of the need to be outside the ARIN service region. This
creates new legal challenges for ARIN which are identified below:

First, ARIN is governed by ICANN ICP-2, which calls for establishment of
a single RIR to serve each region. It further notes that multiple RIRs
serving in single region is likely to lead to difficulty for
co-ordination and co-operation between the RIRs as well as confusion for
the community within the region. The implication of that governance
structure is that each RIR can and should serve its service region. This
policy would allow entities with no real connection to the ARIN's
service region to obtain, for example, increasingly scarce IPv4
resources from ARIN and related registry services. This policy would
result in ARIN effectively providing registry services to other regions,
and thus appears on its face to be inconsistent with ICP-2. ARIN has
obligations to follow the global policy in ICP2, or seek changes in it.

Second, if the policy were adopted, ARIN could arguably become subject
to the jurisdiction and laws passed by governments outside our service
region. This may lead to ARIN being a litigant in courts of nations
outside its service region and subject to their requirements and
judgments. ARIN will need to accept greater legal expenditures and
risks, as well as potentially larger costs in order to take this greater
scope into consideration in ARIN's registry activities on an ongoing basis.

Third, the policy fails to recognize that ARIN is not likely to able to
perform the function contemplated in the policy with certain countries,
and related public or private entities. See as examples under US law:
Cuba, Iran and North Korea. The policy could benefit from a specific
carve out that ARIN may meet its obligations under the laws of
governments in its service region, even if such requests would otherwise
comply with ARIN policy. For those who assert that this requirement to
conform to law is implicit and does not need to be stated in policy, it
is important the community is under notice of this limit. This issue has
not been an issue for ARIN prior to this proposed policy.

Fourth, ARIN may be subject to significantly greater political oversight
by national governments in its service region that will wish to evaluate
why ARIN alone of the 5 RIRs is assuming a duty to service all of the
world's community. It may be argued by governments in ARIN's region that
this is a potential breach of ARIN¹s fiduciary obligations to its own
region, and to examine whether it is consistent with ARIN¹s non-profit
status and other corporate documents.

Fifth and finally, counsel is concerned that the policy will lead to an
increase in fraudulent applications from out of region requestors, and
issuance of resources to those who fraudulently file, since ARIN is not
as well positioned to successfully discover such fraud by out of region
requestors.

[Legal Assessment in the staff assessment dated 15 January 2015]

B. ARIN General Counsel - Legal Assessment

[15 January 2015]

Counsel supports the issuance of resources to entities in the ARIN
region that need number resources that will be used in this region and
in the remainder of the world. ARIN currently issues resources for these
needs based on a needs based allocation methodology. This proposed
revised policy now requires that there be /22 of deployed IPv4 resources
in the ARIN service region, and once that installation exists it allows
all of the recipientsÂ’ needs outside the ARIN service region to be met
by ARIN. The requirement of a meaningful physical presence of the
recipient in the service region was absent from the prior version, and
is an improvement. (The draft policy does not explicitly spell out that
the recipient must have an actual physical presence, as well as a
corporate legal entity, in the ARIN region, but implies the requirement
indirectly by stating that the requester must presently be using
resources in the ARIN region and thus already comply with ARINÂ’s
existing requirements.

The single remaining aspect that continues to create legal and policy
concern is that the policy as written and interpreted calls for ARIN to
allocate resources solely for use out of the ARIN service region. By
definition, those resources should be obtained from the RIR(s) in the
service region(s) where the need exists. Counsel would strongly prefer
that the policy require that there be a requirement that some of the
resources being allocated be needed in the ARIN region. Such a modest
limit would be consistent with ICP-2; it would be consistent with ARIN's
stewardship responsibility to allocate the waning pool of IPv4 number
resources, and will still meet the needs of ARIN based multinational
entities who need resources across the globe.

This draft policy is inconsistent with ICP2. ARIN is governed by ICANN
ICP-2, which calls for establishment of a single RIR to serve each
region. ICP2 further notes that multiple RIRs serving in a single region
is likely to lead to difficulty for co-ordination and co-operation
between the RIRs as well as confusion for the community within the
region. The implication of that governance structure is that each RIR
can and should serve primarily its service region. Adoption of this
policy will result in ARIN effectively providing significant registry
services to ARIN qualified recipients in other RIR regions, and such a
change should not be undertaken lightly but instead only after the
framework provided in ICP-2 is updated (based on global discussion and
consent) - to proceed otherwise would undermines ICP-2 and encourages
parties to set aside its principles in an uncoordinated manner, risking
in the very "confusion for the community" that ICP-2 helps deter at present.

ARIN cannot perform business functions contemplated in the policy with
certain countries, and related public or private entities, such as
relationships to Cuba, Iran and North Korea under U.S. law. This has not
historically been an issue for ARIN prior to this proposed policy. It
may be necessary to require ARINÂ’s implementation of this policy to
require a certification that none of the resources will be deployed
contrary to U.S., Canada or Caribbean nations law in this respect. If
the draft policy is adopted and ARIN provides resources to qualifying
entities for use outside of the region, it is essential that the present
requirement for dispute resolution via arbitration at a location in
ARINÂ’s service region as currently required in the RSA be maintained to
assist in reducing the risk of ARIN becoming subject to the venue,
jurisdiction and laws of legal forums outside the ARIN service region.

3. Resource Impact

This policy would have significant resource impact from an
implementation aspect. It is estimated that implementation would occur
within 5-6 months after ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. The
following would be needed in order to implement:

Updated guidelines and internal procedures

Staff training

Additional time to review resource requests for out of region use as out
of region utilization would now need to be included in the analysis of
these requests

Engineering efforts to handle out of region business rules may be
substantial.

4. Policy Statement
Proposal/Draft Policy Text Assessed