[arin-ppml] Micro-allocation policy proposal draft

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:45:11 EDT 2014

Thanks.

The discussion in the Open-IX community seems to support a CI change
related to IXPs in the following manners:

- use sparse allocations for CI space

Helps to avoid renumbering of growing CI. We will use the suggestions
process for this.

- increase the reserve pool to a /15

Appears to be rather rapid depletion of CI pool based on the recent
acceleration of NA IXP growth related to multiple party efforts

- increase the minimum allocation for an IXP to a /22

IXPs are deploying much larger footprints from day 1 vs. growing into
multiple facilities. More avoidance of renumbering of CI.

On the renumbering issue, I do agree that this is different
considering that we have placed them in the class of CI along with the
others.

By no means have I offered exhaustive justifications for any of the
above points. Rather, points to test the waters.

YMMV,

-M<