[arin-ppml] Team Review - policy matter? (was: Re: reverseCOE statement)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 26 20:36:16 EDT 2014

On Sep 26, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:

> I know I'm stating the obvious here. As a /20 from the free pool is "exactly the same resource" as a /20 from the transfer pool there is no valid reason to treat them differently

Steve -

  Issuing a /20 from the regional IPv4 free pool is allocating a resource that
  comes from a rather small and rapidly diminishing inventory; an inventory
  which is fixed in size, does not get replenished and is inelastic with
  respect to demand.

  Approving transfer of a /20 which is coming from an existing resource holder
  does not deplete the regional IPv4 free pool, and the supply of IPv4 address
  blocks available for transfer will vary based on demand (as parties will
  compare their requirements and utilization [or lack thereof] to the market
  to determine if it is worth making their resources available.  These may be
  resources that are already in use, or may be resource underutilized in their
  present state.

  It cannot be assumed that applying the policy for issuance from the IPv4
  free pool to requests for address transfer will appropriately strike the
  right balance among the principles and goals that ARIN seeks to fulfill
  (more specifically, the principles outlined in Section 1 of the Number
  Resource Policy Manual - <https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#one>)

  ARIN recognizes conservation and stewardship principles are applicable to
  the number resources in the region, and this definitely must be considered
  for policy that issues resources from the finite regional IPv4 inventory.

  Allowing transfer of already-issued number resources from present address
  holder to network operators does not pose the same conservation issue, and
  may actually further ARIN's stewardship duties by improving distribution
  of unique number resources to "entities building and operating networks."

  In the end, it is up to the community to decide the right balance in the
  application of these goals and principles and determine the right policy
  for each of the various types of requests. That may be the same policy,
  or different policy, but it is fairly clear the requests themselves pose
  some different issues to be considered when it comes to meeting the ARIN's
  goals and principles for number resource administration.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO