[arin-ppml] Team Review - policy matter? (was: Re: reverse COEstatement)

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu Sep 25 16:50:15 EDT 2014

Hi Owen,

I sent this from the wrong address so it didn't post to the list.
I figured I would just ignore that, but since you replied I will answer.

>> Free pool addresses are costless, yet have monetary value.
>> For this reason it makes more sense to scrutinize free pool allocations
>> to prevent a rip-off of public resources.

>Actually, I think it makes sense from a serialization perspective.

>If there aren’t other people working on transfers and transfers aren’t
>getting ahead of free pool allocations in line for those people to review
>as a result of the team review process, than i’m fine with the existing
>system as being fair and equitable.

>If people doing transfers are bypassing the lineup  of requests going
>through this process and getting handled faster as a result, then I have an
>issue and am concerned that the situation is unfair to free pool
>requestors.

Yes, I indicated that serialization was a benefit, but fleeting, unless you
really think people will be making significant use of the waiting list.

>> Legacy addresses are also treated differently in policy.

>No. Show me any policy statement in the entire NRPM which states that there
>is such a thing as a legacy address, let alone provides differentiated
>policy for it. That simply isn’t true.

>What is true is that there are legacy allocations/assignments which were
>made by ARIN predecessors under different (and mostly unwritten) policies
>without any sort of contractual documentation between the issuer and the
>recipient.

>The resources themselves do not have any special status and if they are
>transferred through the standard ARIN process under 8.2/8.3/8.4, the
>allocation/assignment to the recipient does not have any special status.
>The recipient must sign an RSA with ARIN and pays the same fees as anyone
>else with an ARIN allocation/assignment of the same size.

I thought ARIN allowed legacy holders to sign an LRSA and pay significantly
less than non legacy addresses. Isn't that a difference?

>> It's silly to object to 2014-14 because it has a size limit in it, aren't
>> there size limits throughout the NRPM?

>I don’t think any of my objections to 2014-14 have been related to the size
>limit. I think 2014-14 is generally a bad idea and a step in the wrong
>direction. I have expressed that if there is strong community support
>(which I don’t currently see here) for it, I would accept 2014-14 with a
>smaller limit and a time limit as being a reasonable experiment to see
>whether such a policy is likely to cause harm or not.

Not yours, but John Curran offered this as sort of a counter-argument to
2014-14, based on fairness. Although he quickly indicated that it could be
overcome.

>And I don’t consider preserving team review beyond the time it is required
>for the free pool necessary. As I said, I want to make sure that both
>classes of requestor are being treated fairly and consistently. If requests
>which do not require team review are waiting their place in line behind
>requests that do, then I have no problem even if they are not “team
>reviewed”. It was not clear from earlier information that this was the
>case.

OK, I think that is a new position and I think it makes sense. Team review
for both transfers and free pool allocations until the free pool expires. I
guess we'll need a definition of expiration then, but it seems fair. Maybe
if we pick the right definition, we can avoid a thousand team reviews of
/24s.

Regards,
Mike