[arin-ppml] Team Review - policy matter? (was: Re: reverse COE statement)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 24 14:51:44 EDT 2014

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:40 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> I disagree. While it is not specifically called out, the simple fact is that 8.3 transfer policy specifically states that IPv4 transfers should be subject to the same policies as IPv4 free pool allocations. It does make an exception for the “speculation timeframe” allowed in the request, but otherwise I believe that the community’s expectation is that they are treated the same and subject to the same policies and limitations.
>>
>> How do other members of the community feel about this?
>

> It would have been my expectation that all number assignments/allocations
> (whether from free pool or transfer) would undergo the same review in the
> same way in order to insure that policies in place are applied consistently
> unless called out in policy that the practices should be different.
>
> I am not totally convinced that extending the formal team review from
> a /16 (or larger) to all sized requests is needed to achieve a consistent
> (and fair) result(*), but if it is perceived to be needed, then that
> team review should be (and should have been) applied across all needs
> assessments.  It is acknowledged that the staffing issues for team
> reviews remain.
>
> Gary
>
> (*) In hindsight, I think moving to something like a /22 or larger would
> have been a better plan to balance staff resource needs while minimizing
> any impacts of lack of consistency.

Gary,

As I understand it… (I might be a little off on some details and I’ll leave it to ARIN staff to clarify if I am)

The current state is that everything for allocations/assignments from the free pool is reviewed through ARIN’s team review process.

All transfers are currently reviewed by a single ARIN staff member, with some possible escalation to management as needed or in the case of certain large transfers. No transfers regardless of size are currently subjected to the team review process.

My concern is that transfers and allocations/assignments from the free pool should be treated the same. IMHO, it would be better if they were subject to the same time limits, but the community wanted to differentiate that, and the policy reflects this. However, other than the time horizon, there is no differentiation currently in policy for transfers vs. free pool allocations/assignments. Nonetheless, staff is treating them differently in terms of individual review vs. team review. I don’t know if there are other ways in which ARIN staff is treating them differently or not.

Owen