[arin-ppml] Team Review - policy matter?

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Sep 24 14:34:07 EDT 2014

On 9/24/2014 11:04 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I disagree. While it is not specifically called out, the simple fact
> is that 8.3 transfer policy specifically states that IPv4 transfers
> should be subject to the same policies as IPv4 free pool allocations.
> It does make an exception for the “speculation timeframe” allowed in
> the request, but otherwise I believe that the community’s expectation
> is that they are treated the same and subject to the same policies and
> limitations. How do other members of the community feel about this?

I believe they are subject to the same policies and limitations. ARIN
Staff has always had considerable flexibility when implementing policy,
and while it is interesting to know that they're applying different
levels of review for what I'm sure are good reasons, I'm not sure how
one could reach the conclusion that policy isn't being followed. For all
we know, the timeframe itself is why a different level of review is
appropriate.

We could try to dictate through policy every single administrative step
that is taken in processing applications, but I'm not sure that doing so
would be helpful for the community or that ARIN counsel would even agree
with every micromanagement point.

Matthew Kaufman