[arin-ppml] ARIN-2014-20 and current future looking needs assessment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:27:44 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> You have always been able to get space from ARIN based on forward-looking
> business cases, but it has been limited.
>
> This applies to both free pool and transfers equally, though free pool being
> limited to a 3-month window now for ISPs makes "forward" a little less
> useful.

Business plan is a useless term in this context. My earlier point
which may not have been clear was that ARIN is not qualified to
evaluate a business plan let alone compare my business plan to a
competitors and make judgements as to what my (or their) need is. If
they did do such a thing, it would be problematic. The three month
window is a market limit not so much of a business limit unless ARIN
unevenly applies the policies (which in my own view, they do).

So with that said, yes, I agree, it applies to both free pool and
transfer requests.

> I would venture that most end-user initial allocations are based on at least
> somewhat forward-looking projections.

All submissions regardless of who submits them follow this theme. You
tell ARIN what you want. They guess if its credible or not, then
assign what you need or figure out what policy to use to avoid
fulfilling the request.

Best,

-M<