[arin-ppml] reverse COE statement

Steven Ryerse SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
Tue Sep 23 12:55:30 EDT 2014

Kevin,  I pulled the Mission Statement info from ARIN’s web site and this is what it says:

Former Mission Statement:
Applying the principles of stewardship, ARIN, a nonprofit corporation, allocates Internet Protocol resources; develops consensus-based policies; and facilitates the advancement of the Internet through information and educational outreach.

Current Mission Statement:
ARIN, a nonprofit member-based organization, supports the operation of the Internet through the management of Internet number resources throughout its service region; coordinates the development of policies by the community for the management of Internet Protocol number resources; and advances the Internet through informational outreach.

Both of them reference advancement of the Internet. Your brief description below sounds like what you want to do would advance the Internet in some small way. That said, why do you automatically argue against and deny yourself the possibility of getting the /24 you desire – just because you don’t meet some arbitrary needs test that the powers that be in this community have codified for whatever reasons in the current policy.

I believe strongly that you and anyone else like you should have just as much right to get that /24 as anyone else. That is why I proposed ARIN 2014-18 which eliminates needs tests on a /24 once per year. Of course ARIN would still charge their fee on that and you would have to decide to pay each year you keep it.

This notion that only larger organizations should be able to justify an allocation is NOT what was intended when ARIN was formed and somehow this community and ARIN has gotten so far off track from ARINs mission, that folks like you have been convinced that what they would do with an allocation doesn’t advance the Internet - and therefore are not entitled to participate in advancing the Internet going forward.

Somewhere in the ARIN region today - there is someone who wants to be the next Steve Jobs of the Internet – but he or she can’t get their /24 because of some dopey policy.  How did we come from Jon Postel all the way to  this?

We can begin the process of fixing this situation by members of this community supporting 2014-18 and some of the other current policy proposals that attempt to loosen up allocations for smaller organizations.  If you want to help advance the Internet it is the proper thing to do.

Steven Ryerse
President
100 Ashford Center North, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA  30338
770.656.1460 - Cell
770.399.9099- Office

        Conquering Complex Networks℠