[arin-ppml] Updated text for ARIN 2014-16: Section 4.10 Austerity Policy Update

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Sep 18 17:04:09 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-18 09:37, Bill Owens wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 05:11:24AM +0000, Alexander, Daniel wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> There has been an update to the text of ARIN2014-16: Section 4.10
>> Austerity Policy Update. Based upon previous feedback and suggestions
>> there has been substantial changes to the original text. This new text
>> is
>> included below and will be discussed at the upcoming meeting in
>> Baltimore.
> . . .
>> Updated Text
>> ==============================
>>
>> Policy statement:
>> Replace Section 4.10 with the following policy.
>>
>> 4.10 Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 Deployment
>>
>> When ARIN receives its last /8 IPv4 allocation from IANA, a contiguous
>> /10
>> IPv4 block will be set aside and dedicated to facilitate IPv6
>> deployment
>> and continued transition from IPv4 to IPv6.
>
> Since this event is now in the past, it might make more sense for the
> update to say "When ARIN received its last... block was set aside and
> dedicated... "

That seems like a fine editorial change.  This text is just from the
current policy.

>> Address space received from IANA under the “Global Policy for Post
>> Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA (NRPM 10.5)” by ARIN
>> shall be allocated or assigned under this section.
>>
>> Allocations and assignments from this block must be justified by
>> immediate
>> IPv6 deployment requirements. ARIN shall use sparse allocation within
>> these blocks.
>>
>> 4.10.1 Austerity Policy
>>
>> Organizations must obtain an IPv6 block to receive a block under
>> section
>> 4.10.1 and show documentation on how the IPv6 and IPv4 block will be
>> used
>> to facilitate an organization¹s operational needs. These allocations
>> or
>> assignments will be subject to a minimum size of /28 and a maximum
>> size of
>> /22.
>>
>> In order to receive an allocation or assignment under this policy:
>>
>> 1. the organization, its parent(s), or subsidiary organizations, may
>> not
>> have received IPv4 address resources greater than or equal to a /22
>> from
>> ARIN or any other RIR;
>>
>> 2. the organization must show immediate use (within 90 days) of 25% of
>> the
>> allocation;
>
> It feels like the numbered sections should end here, because the next
> two are not requirements for receiving a block under this policy,
> rather statements of what will happen next. But that's minor.
>
>> 3. the organization is eligible to receive only one contiguous IPv4
>> block
>> under this section;
>
> By extension, does that mean the organization, its parent(s) or
> subsidiaries?

Yes, the intention is that only one of these blocks is available to an
organization, its parent(s) or subsidiaries.

>> 4. the organization may apply to ARIN for an increase in their
>> allocation
>> up to a /22, if the previous allocation under this section shows a
>> utilization of at least 80%, increases will only be granted if
>> adjacent
>> bit-boundary aligned space is available at the time of request.
>
> Does 'utilization' in this sense mean 'active v4 addresses', or
> 'active v4 addresses being used in accordance with the documentation
> provided to justify the original allocation'? Bullet 2 in the existing
> 4.10/new 4.10.2 seems to cover this but only for that section.

My intention is that if/when the organization comes back to ARIN to grow
their prefix that they are actively using 80% of the block which was
allocated under 4.10.1.  So if you have a /24 from 4.10.1 and you are
using ~205 IP addresses you can expand to the next bit boundary.

>> 4.10.2 Transition technologies
>>
>> Allocations and assignments from this block must be justified by
>> immediate
>> IPv6 deployment requirements. Examples of such needs include: IPv4
>> addresses for key dual stack DNS servers, and NAT-PT or NAT464
>> translators. ARIN staff will use their discretion when evaluating
>> justifications.
>>
>> These allocations or assignments will be subject to a minimum size of
>> /28
>> and a maximum size of /24.  ARIN shall reserve a minimum of a /11 for
>> allocations under this subsection.
>
> Will this /11 come out of existing free space, or be half of the
> existing /10, or wait for the next batch of IANA blocks?

My assumption/intention was that ARIN would take the /10 that has been
reserved under the existing 4.10 policy and divide it into two /11s one
for 4.10.1 and one /11 for 4.10.2.  Other IANA returned blocks would be
placed into the 4.10.1 pool.

Andrew