[arin-ppml] IANA transition and the risk of a failed RIR process

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 15 09:42:54 EDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 9:27 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu<mailto:mueller at syr.edu>> wrote:

Olivier, John
I did prefer a global, cross-RIR list. Since the top-level number registry is global I see no benefit to be gained from fragmenting the discussion into regional parts and then trying to integrate them (where? By whom?).

In some respects the APNIC list IANAXfer may be turning into a global discussion by default, but it would, as Olivier suggests, be good for ARIN and the other RIRs to show more initiative here.

Milton -

Have you proposed a global list instead on the APNIC IANAxfer list (and in other
regions)?  How has this been received?   ARIN (staff and Board) do not have any
preconceived notions on how this process should be organized (hence a reason
for a significant face-to-face discussion in Baltimore), but obviously we can't take
the initiative on a global process without support in other regions for the same type
of outcome.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran