[arin-ppml] IANA transition and the risk of a failed RIR process

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 12 12:44:13 EDT 2014

On Sep 12, 2014, at 3:43 AM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com<mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:

Dear John,

thanks very much for this follow-up.
I think the point that Milton was making was that apart from a F2F discussion at next month's ARIN meeting, there is no dedicated, open mailing list hosted by ARIN to hold that open discussion about IANA Stewardship transition. All other RIRs have such open mailing lists, so ARIN's process looks a bit of a oddity on the overall scheme of things.

Ah...  I misunderstood, as I thought Milton was expressing concern about the lack of a
_global_  mailing list for this purpose, as opposed to yet another regional list.  We are
going to discuss both at the ARIN meeting in 3 weeks, but if there's clear preference
before that time, we can institute one now and open it up for those interested. There
was some question of whether a new list will obtain sufficient critical mass for such
a discussion, but that's really a question of community preference.

I personally fully support Milton's concern. I know many other people who do too.

Milton - were you requesting a dedicated ARIN-hosted mailing list for this purpose,
as Olivier suggests?   Would this be in addition to a global list, or instead of such?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO