[arin-ppml] 2014-1 Out of Region Use

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:50:27 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

[ clip ]

>> Anyone care to address the points, from a technical perspective, that
>> the LEO community raised as well?
>
> You mean LEAs (law enforcement agencies)? Did you read the comments? Those concerns were addressed:
>
> "The requirement to have a minimal level of resources deployed in the region (/44 for IPv6, /22 for IPv4, 1 ASN) is an attempt to respond to law enforcement and some community concerns. An absolute threshold ensures that those applying for ARIN resources are actually operating in the region and not simply a shell company, but it avoids the known pitfalls of trying to use percentages of the organization's overall holdings to do that."

To be clear, my past opposition to most LEA oriented suggestions has
been around policy not requiring due process. We're now talking about
a break down in the effectiveness of due process. Not quite the same
thing.

ARINs subscriber data is the problem, not policy. This proposal does
nothing to resolve that or put up sufficient barriers to fraudsters.
It hurts legitimate networks more. If you disagree, I'd like to hear
more about how you believe that it does address the issue. I'm open to
be convinced otherwise.

-opposed

Best,

-M<