[arin-ppml] Fwd: [ARIN-20140107-F1419] Fraud Report on CloudRadium LLC

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Oct 16 23:59:38 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2014, at 16:16 , Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
>
> We had a situation in my city, the story just broke as a matter of fact,
> last week, about a group of tow truck drivers in cahoots with an
> owner of several wrecking yards who were crushing stolen cars.  A city
> employee was also involved.
>

> Interesting.
>
> This had been going on for the last 20 years or so.
>

> Impressive.
>
> The story broke a week AFTER the police chief announced his resignation.
>
> The police department and DMV and other officials involved all tried
> to pull that BS excuse that they had been investigating it all this
> time.  But the paper that broke the story published addition info
> showing that this was a big fat lie, they had only started an
> investigation a year ago.
>

> So you apparently had an incompetent (or worse) chief of police. Not sure
> what this has
> to do with the current ARIN situation unless you are claiming that the
> ARIN staff is
> similarly corrupt or incompetent (which I don't believe for a second).

I think it's perfectly clear that he's bringing up this
parallel situation to highlight his concern that the
ARIN staff is using our registration fees to CRUSH CARS!

This is an ecological travesty of the highest magnitude;
if ARIN staff members are misusing our registration fees
in this way, they must be stopped!  We must immediately
formulate policy language that stipulates any embezzled
funds must *only* be used to RECYCLE cars, and not
CRUSH them!

OK.  On a more serious note--having been on the other
side of public accusations in the past, there's a lot to
be said for keeping the investigation circumspect, at
least initially.  If the allegations turn out to be false, it
can still be highly damaging to people's reputations to
simply have such allegations made in public.

I think it would be good for ARIN to send a note
back saying "thank you for bringing this to our
attention" -- but I would not expect to see any
further communication from them one way or
the other while the investigation is underway.

Until true evidence of wrongdoing has been
uncovered, it's one person's word against
another--and in business, the wrong allegations
can drag a company down, even when they
turn out to be unfounded.

Bringing it back to the charter of PPML--would
you like policy to be proposed that guides ARIN
staff on timely replies back to fraudulent behaviour
notifications--as that's really the only reason I
could see for bringing the topic up here, as
opposed to other ARIN governance lists.

Thanks!

Matt