[arin-ppml] [ARIN-20140107-F1419] Fraud Report on CloudRadium LLC

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 14 18:56:24 EDT 2014

On Oct 13, 2014, at 19:31 , Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:

> John, or Leslie, or any other board or staff:
> Has ARIN considered - and possibly rejected - any of these options:
> 1. Developing a dedicated Fraud investigation department or team, or

This can be done, but it will not yield any different results in the case
of an organization that is "making fake contracts with unexists or imaginable
customers and making up the equipment list and purchase invoices, which make
their business looks like the same as the real one." (as stated by xiaofan)

> 2. Hiring translators and/or bilingual or "bicultural" (spell check OK'd that so I guess it's a word!) staff to mitigate the difficulty in doing these investigations, or
> 3. Outsourcing foreign fraud investigations, possibly with the assistance (direct or otherwise) of the relevant RIR?

We actually have very good working relationships with the other RIRs for
this reason, and have asked for assistance as needed for translation and
data verification... This is rather labor intensive, and will not uncover
fabricated data that has been diligently prepared, as verification of both
customer and business contact information is exceedingly difficult in some
countries outside of the ARIN service region (even if undertaken by the RIR
servicing that area.)

We have been able to detect fraudulent applications that were similar in
character to this case (and do reject such), but we routinely see these
sorts of requests, i.e. ones backed by nominal in region presence and
entirely out of region customer demand.

FYI,
/John

John Curran