[arin-ppml] 2014-14 Transfer Statistics analysis

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Oct 9 10:53:56 EDT 2014

I support this policy if changed to /18. Even though a /16 "feels" big I
also support this policy as written.

Or, an exempt transfer could be a one time only thing with any further
transfers beyond that to require needs-based assessment. This should be
sufficient for an org's final hurrah into IPv4 planning. Maybe issue a
stern letter about planning for IPv6 along with it or require the org to
already have an IPv6 allocation from ARIN.

Or, if the needs-based assessment for larger than a /16-18 requires
justification for a 2 year supply, make the waiting period matching at 2
years instead of 1.

Now for my editorial. I know there's people that want to see needs-based
keep getting harder and more nitpicky tedious, and I used to be one of
them. But I'm at the point where all these policies are becoming
tedious. Policy is what got us here. ARIN's free pool is practically
done. Are we going to keep making policies to make it harder and harder
to get space so it requires a bonafide miracle to actually get it? Vast
amounts of space are already tied up through private agreements whether
ARIN allows its whois to be updated or not. IPv4 space that's already
been doled out is out, time let it go instead of trying to get a dying
grasp on our precious as it falls into the fires of Mount Doom.

~Seth