[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-17: Change Utilization Requirements from last-allocation to total-aggregate - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 20 13:50:05 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Michael Peddemors <michael at linuxmagic.com>
wrote:
> Sounds good, but suggest it get extended slightly..
>
> End-users must have efficiently utilized all assignments, in aggregate,
> to at least 80% and at least 50% of every assignment in order to
> receive additional space, must provide ARIN with utilization
> details, and have correct information in WHOIS directory via
> SWIP or use of an RWhois server (Section 4.2.3.7 and Section
> 3.2) and has responded to a recent Annual Whois POC Verificaiton (Section
3.6)

> This will help aid ARIN in ensuring information is up to date, for their
own purposes.

Hi Michael,

You're kind of straying from policy language to business process language.
The idea is that policy should tell ARIN -what- data it should require
while business process tells ARIN -how- to collect and maintain that data.
(Yes, 3.6.1 is badly written in that respect.)

So, you'd want words along the lines of, "must have published accurate and
complete utilization information and points of contact."

Also, throwing the language in this way could muddy things. Accurate
publication is conceptually separate from amount of utilization. 4.2.4 has
multiple subheadings, each with a distinct requirement for ISPs requesting
additional space. Consider whether this requirement would belong in a
separate subheading and, if it does, whether adding that separate
subheading would be better pursued in a separate policy proposal or if it
really needs to be attached to this one.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?