[arin-ppml] Multi-homing justification removed?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 20 13:33:16 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Steve King <steve.king at iconaircraft.com>
wrote:
> The changes implemented in ARIN-2014-13, specifically the removal of
4.3.2.2,
> appear to have removed the multi-homing justification for a /24 for end
users.
>  Previously, the need to multi-home, and proof of contracts with multiple
upstream
> providers, was sufficient to justify a /24 to participate in BGP.

Hi Steve,

IIRC, multihoming was a justification for receiving a /24 instead of a /22,
meaning that multihomed users could ask for less space. Single-homed users
needed to be large enough to justify a /22 before they could get space from
ARIN. Multihomed users still had to justify a /24 the regular way -- with
utilization.

Getting a /24 solely because of multihoming only applied to getting space
from an ISP, not getting space directly from ARIN. As it still does.

> Was this the intent or possibly an overlooked side effect of the change?

Now that you can get a /24 regardless of whether you're multihomed, the
multihoming language was removed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?