[arin-ppml] 2014-19 and evidence of deployment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:55:12 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM, John Santos <JOHN at egh.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>

>> > "7. Upon verification that the organization has shown evidence of deployment
>> > of the new discrete network site, [such as, but not limited to the
>> > following: a network design showing existing and new discreet networks and
>> > supporting documentation that the proposed design in in progress such as
>> > contracts for new space or power, new equipment orders, publicly available
>> > marketing material describing the offering in a new location, or some other
>> > significant capital investment in the project,] the new networks shall be
>> > allocated:
>> >

>> Let's go back to the original point I made in the last two PPC and
>> ARIN meetings. How can a company contract for real estate, energy or
>> network without knowing if they had IP addresses to operate their
>> business (in this current environment of v4 scarcity and policy
>> wonkery?)?
>
> Any company with a business plan is taking risks and has to have a
> fall back plan (even if the plan is "pack it in") for any conceivable
> eventuality.  You want ARIN to guarantee that they can get IPv4 before
> they've found a site, bought any equipment, signed any contracts with
> suppliers or customers, or even made any public announcements of their
> plans to establish a new site?

Let me get this straight. So one should have a business plans that
accounts for spending money that may not actually get to generate any
revenue? ARIN has been assigning addresses without this requirement
for a decade plus. The ability to forward look (guarantee) has been
shrunk and now ARIN is targeting MDN for discriminatory policies and
removing any ability to forward look, a normal practice in "business".
The risk of not getting addresses because ARIN is using clueless
requirements is very high, not average. This isn't a simple excercise
of "win some lose some". There are real dollars at stake (whether you
operate a single rack or 1000 racks regardless of how much "power" you
use) and real risks.

This proposal is best summed up as 'wasteful tinkering'.

Best,

-M<