[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12: Anti-hijack Policy

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon May 19 22:56:14 EDT 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, ARIN wrote:

> Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12
Anti-hijack Policy

11.7 Resource Allocation Guidelines

[...]
   If an organization requires more resource than stipulated by
the minimum allocation sizes in force at the time of their request,
their experimental documentation should have clearly described and
justified why this is required.

Maybe I'm being overly pedantic, but I had trouble parsing this
sentence.  At first I thought it was missing the direct object
or there was a strange shift of tenses, then I realized it does
parse, but is awkward.

Missing direct object:  "... their experimental documentation should have
clearly described and justified *REASONS* (or some other equivalent word)
why this is required."

I.E. insert an noun to fix it.

Tense shift:  "... their experimental documentation should [have] clearly
describe[d] and justif*y*[ied] why this is required."

I.E. strike the past tense in brackets, making the whole thing present
tense, to make it clearer.

Awkward, confusing reading: "... their experimental documentation should
have (that is, when it was submitted) clearly described (past tense) and
justified (past tense) why this is (present tense) required.

I.E. live with it, but go "Huh?  What does this mean?" when ever someone
reads it.

Unless this is the standard way lawyers express such things, which
would go a long way to explaining why no one understands them :-)

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.