[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-204 Removing Needs Test from Small IPv4 Transfers (Sandra Brown)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 1 07:51:33 EDT 2014

On Apr 30, 2014, at 7:05 PM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

> On 4/30/2014 6:40 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> It's hiding in 4.1.8:
>>
>> Repeated requests, in a manner that would circumvent 4.1.6, are not allowed: an organization may only receive one allocation, assignment, or transfer every 3 months, but ARIN, at its sole discretion, may waive this requirement if the requester can document a change in circumstances since their last request that could not have been reasonably foreseen at the time of the original request, and which now justifies additional space.
>>
> Fair enough, but one could also argue that 4.1.8 doesn't apply to transfers because the whole section is about ARIN issued space, not transfer obtained space.  They key is how ARIN would implement the proposed policy, which will happen latter in the staff assessment after the proposal is a draft policy.

Andrew -

  We actually consider that paragraph regarding "repeated requests" within the context
  of the policy section in which it was adopted, so 'requests' refers to requests for ARIN-
  issued resources (i.e. those that could lead to "Unmet Requests"), and hence do not
  consider it to be applicable to transfers.

  If the community desires such a restriction, clearer policy language would be required.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO