[arin-ppml] 2600::/12 LOA

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Mar 31 16:52:01 EDT 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 5:00 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>
>> NRPM 11 was designed for parties requesting allocations from ARIN for
>> research purposes; not ARIN checking the quality/integrity of new block
>> received from IANA.  Given the recent occurance, I believe it is prudent
>> for ARIN to utilize NRPM 11 going forward for purposes of this quality
>> checking, as it makes visible the organization doing the testing/making
>> use of the space, including duration of the activity and research nature,
>> as well as reaffirming the expected uniqueness requirement.
>
> If I understand this correctly, Matthew suggested that an update to
> Section 11 would be more useful? If that's the case I agree. It would
> require a few, simple, modifications.

I think his suggestion to make use of NRPM 11 for this purpose is quite
excellent.   It was not process that we used in the past, but shall be
done that way going forward.   To the extent that the community wishes
to improve NRPM 11 policy text for this purpose of address space testing,
that is also welcome.

> Why would ARIN ever need to issue an LOA if whatever is distributed is
> in the registry? All the LOA responsibilities if even needed at that
> point would fall to the registrant.

Agreed; that is the major benefit of taking an "NRPM 11" approach to address
space testing - ARIN stays focused on being a registry and leaves the use of
address space to registrants.  Since registrants are unique for a given address
block, we also preempt multiple parties with potentially conflict plans on the
use (or routing) of any given portion of address space.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO