[arin-ppml] ARIN and the Evolution of the IANA Functions

Louie Lee louie at louie.net
Mon Mar 24 06:43:50 EDT 2014

On Mar 24, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Louie, for your insight into the process. It is good to see you levelling with us.

Of course, Milton.  There is no intention to mislead; I can certainly help facilitate the communication of updates and changes as they happen.

And I hope you agree with me in that the activities are happening really quickly -- so much so that the Chairs of the various ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Councils insisted on several things:

That the Chairs be described today as "facilitators" rather than "leaders" in order to give focus to the community input rather than have the Chairs offer anything in a top-down manner this early in the process.  (It's with this thought that Fadi did not present any sort of draft or suggestion for a process.)

That it is highlighted that none of us had the chance to consult with nor receive any sort of substantial input from our respective communities.  Any opinion that we might offer is purely our own and not any sort of consensus positions.

The input of the Chairs on stage this morning would be limited to describing the PDPs in use in our respective communities so as to educate the community on the various mechanisms in place.

> I am sitting in the Padang room Monday morning in Singapore and in an hour and a half the discussion will begin.

And thank you for your input today!  I look forward to further discussion with you to make sure that I don't misunderstand your points and the concerns behind them.  I would urge you to document your input fully by emailing it to the address posted on ICANN's webpage on this topic:

	http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/transition

And I would also urge the rest of the ARIN community (and the members of other stakeholder groups) send in their input. The deadline for initial input is this Thursday!  The email address is:

	ianatransition at icann.org

Louie

P.S. You saw that I ended up on stage with Adiel on a last minute change.  It was still planned that we would return to our seats to sit with our communities after our PDP descriptions.  When given the chance to leave the stage, we ended up staying, but with no intent to lead the discussion afterwards.  However, we were careful to not respond to input; it was important at this point to receive as much input as possible from the community in the short amount of time, and we did not want our opinions be misunderstood as coming from our communities.