[arin-ppml] ARIN and the Evolution of the IANA Functions

Louie Lee louie at louie.net
Sun Mar 23 01:57:23 EDT 2014

Thank you, Milton and John, for your thoughts.  I have some to add inline....

On Mar 22, 2014, at 12:09 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>> The key point of contrast between the proposals is the role of ICANN. The I* leaders are proposing to eliminate the accountability function that the IANA contract with NTIA brought with it, allowing ICANN to simply absorb them because it is presumably more "mature" and well-behaved than it was, say, 10 years ago. Our proposal calls for structural separation of the DNS-related IANA and root zone maintenance functions, which has better accountability and transparency features.
>
> Milton -
>
>  I would not characterize it quite as you did (i.e. "proposing to eliminate
>  the accountability function that the IANA contract with NTIA brought"),
>  particularly since the position clearly states "ICANN will engage with
>  the Internet community in a bottom-up public consultation process to ensure
>  appropriate accountability mechanisms"
>
>  Your characterization: "eliminate the accountability"
>
>  The actual statement: "ensure appropriate accountability mechanisms"
>
>  It is true that the I* leader statement did _not_ include specific
>  mechanisms for accountability, as it was felt that was the type of
>  matter to be discussed among the Internet community. My apologies
>  if this did not come through as clear as it might otherwise have,
>  and for any confusion that may have resulted.

Milton,

I might add that the assertion that anyone is allowing ICANN to "simply absorb" the accountability function trivializes the large amount of work that the community must do in order to create a proposal for strengthened accountability mechanisms that would be acceptable to NTIA for the transition to be approved.  As the whole of ICANN matures, we are seeing the community taking a larger role in working together to hold the ICANN Board and staff accountable in their execution of policies for DNS and number resources.

Tomorrow morning, you will see a proposal by ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé pitch a first draft of a way that the community can go about developing the accountability mechanisms that are required.  These mechanisms must be adopted by the community in a bottom-up, multistakeholder manner for them to be part of a viable proposal.

For folks in North America, this will be Sunday evening/night.  Please join us:

http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-globalization-advisory

>> Whatever one's view, the RIRs need to have a broader discussion of these issues among their members. A few staff members should not be allowed to speak for the RIR community as a whole. Further, the Commerce Department will require an open and consensual process before it will approve a transition plan
>
>  In the case of ARIN, the ARIN Board of Trustees was consulted to confirm
>  that the statement was an appropriate position with which to start the
>  dialogue with the ARIN community.

In addition, there are a number of RIR Board members and numbering community members here at the ICANN meeting ready to pitch in.  I am here not only as a member-elected representative of the ARIN and NANOG communities, but also as the Chair of the Address Council of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization.  You will find me next to an RIR CEO on stage tomorrow representing the numbering community reminding everyone what the 2nd "N" in ICANN stands for.

We recognize that both the ICANN community and the numbering communities each have divergent views.  We will have an opportunity to demonstrate how our multistakeholder concepts are implemented in the RIR system, and how the RIR staffs and Boards are held accountable for their actions.  Perhaps the ICANN community can take the best features and make it work to "globalize" the accountability of IANA functions at ICANN.

Yours,
Louie Lee
Chair
ICANN ASO Address Council