[arin-ppml] ARIN and the Evolution of the IANA Functions

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Mar 22 00:09:58 EDT 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> The key point of contrast between the proposals is the role of ICANN. The I* leaders are proposing to eliminate the accountability function that the IANA contract with NTIA brought with it, allowing ICANN to simply absorb them because it is presumably more "mature" and well-behaved than it was, say, 10 years ago. Our proposal calls for structural separation of the DNS-related IANA and root zone maintenance functions, which has better accountability and transparency features.

Milton -

  I would not characterize it quite as you did (i.e. "proposing to eliminate
  the accountability function that the IANA contract with NTIA brought"),
  particularly since the position clearly states "ICANN will engage with
  the Internet community in a bottom-up public consultation process to ensure
  appropriate accountability mechanisms"

  Your characterization: "eliminate the accountability"

  The actual statement: "ensure appropriate accountability mechanisms"

  It is true that the I* leader statement did _not_ include specific
  mechanisms for accountability, as it was felt that was the type of
  matter to be discussed among the Internet community. My apologies
  if this did not come through as clear as it might otherwise have,
  and for any confusion that may have resulted.

> Whatever one's view, the RIRs need to have a broader discussion of these issues among their members. A few staff members should not be allowed to speak for the RIR community as a whole. Further, the Commerce Department will require an open and consensual process before it will approve a transition plan

  In the case of ARIN, the ARIN Board of Trustees was consulted to confirm
  that the statement was an appropriate position with which to start the
  dialogue with the ARIN community.

  The ARIN announcement notes that "In the ARIN community, these discussions
  will take place via the communication and discussion channels already in
  place, including the upcoming ARIN 33 meeting in Chicago this April. ARIN
  will continue to facilitate discussion and ensure that the output is
  effectively channeled into the global process."

  We look forward to robust discussion on these matters at ARIN 33 next month
  in Chicago, and I do appreciate you highlighting the importance of this topic
  to the ARIN community.  There is little doubt that the proposed transition,
  while helpful from the perspective of completed a long-awaited transition,
  also has the potential for significant changes in the ecosystem in which
  ARIN's mission is performed and therefore should be a topic of significant
  interest to the ARIN community.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran