[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Mar 21 17:58:10 EDT 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Meows <Meows at techie.com> wrote:

> As a watcher of this since it's inception I have to jump in here as this is getting way off the rails, gosh it is reminding me of the affordable health care act no one can afford.
>
> Point one RE:
>
> As an ARIN Hostmaster for 10 years, I saw a very high rate of legitimate transfers which were
> abandoned by the requestor.  In turn, Whois did not get updated, and in most cases, remains
> out of date today.
>
> Think about that for a moment please:  legitimate M&A activity occurred, but Whois never
> got updated.  That's a failure of the system. Why does it fail?
>
> Please guys, this is simple programming, a 60 to 90 day check to see if it was indeed transferred.
>
> Point Two RE:
>
> In some cases, some IP addresses are used, and others
> are not, and they think that if ARIN finds that out, they are going to take the addresses away.
>
> This is wrong on every level. One of the only free things ( in the since you buy a block of addresses and do what you want to with them) the human population has in the world and now it is going to be  divvy up like the school yard bully's candy. And then controlled.
> This is not even in the ball park of the mission statement.
>
> Rant off,
> Christine

Christine -

  Thanks for your message! For clarity and to aid the folks who are working
  on this policy proposal (Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9, which removes the need
  for ARIN to seek utilization during M & M transfers), I take it that your
  message is in support of adoption of the draft policy?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO