[arin-ppml] 2014-3 Remove 8.2/8.3/8.4 Minimum IPv4 Block Size Requirements

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Mar 21 13:05:02 EDT 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 2:56 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:47 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>> Also, I believe ARIN is the wrong place for such constraints.  I believe operators should make the decision on such matters
>>
>> I also believe that operators should set such constraints (if desired),
>
> They do. It's called "prefix length filters".

Indeed... They can individually decide which routes to accept,
and that may be deemed sufficient by the community such that
nothing is needed in ARIN number resource policy (or not)

>> by participation in the regional policy development process.
>
> Out of curiosity, what percentage of ASes being announced on the Internet participate in ARIN regional policy development processes?

100% of those who are interested in doing so, just all of those who
are interested may participate in the ICANN DNS registry consensus
policy development...

You may want to use your domain name any way you want, but you are
still bound the DNS registry consensus policies, even if you opted
not to participate in their development -
<http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies>

Out of curiosity, do you know what percentage of domain name holders
participate in the ICANN consensus policy development processes?

The entire Internet identifier registry system is based on community-
based policy development, and while not everyone participates, the
key point is making sure that everyone has the ability to do so.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO