[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Mar 21 02:39:46 EDT 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> If they don't want to deal with ARIN (and I agree, I've seen a lot of that), why even start the 8.2 transfer process? All this says is that in addition to that 40% abandon rate, we *also* have people not even starting the process.

Matthew -

A typical example is a someone who believes that they are a legacy
resource holder because they are the technical or administrative
contact on an address block (but the organization field points to
a company from long ago) who comes to ARIN wishing to update their
organization field to match a more current organization. In these
cases, because the organization field is changing, the request is
a transfer.

Upon entering into the process (which in their view started simply
as "updating their ARIN info"), it is made clear that ARIN will need
to see appropriate documentation (to insure this isn't actually a
hijacking) and to see utilization information per NRPM 8.2.

At this point, some number of requesters will abandon the process.
Some of those are because of lack of documentation or effort to
produce same, and some are because of fears related to utilization,
agreements, etc.

I hope this help explains at least one very typical portion of the
transfer abandon rate.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO