[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 20 20:41:30 EDT 2014

On Mar 20, 2014, at 3:28 PM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Last email from me, I promise. I don't want to abuse the hospitality of the list.
>
> Owen, I agree with you when you write that our policies generally work well and we shouldn't muck with them.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t muck with them. I’m saying that we shouldn’t sacrifice the ability to institute policy on the altar of “some people don’t comply, so we should eliminate the policy”

> But I believe I have shown compelling proof, with hard statistics for 3 years and empirical observations over 10 years, that demonstrate that this specific language is detrimental to the primary purpose of ARIN: running an (accurate) numbers registry.

I disagree. I would say, instead, that you have proven that there are some people who do not keep their registry records up to date. You have asserted that they would be somehow more likely to update the registry if policy were removed.

> With exhaustion imminent, I do not see any downside to the technical operations of the Internet if we loosen up the needs-basis of 8.2 transfers, which in reality as Scott from IRS points out, happen with or without the registry.

I see several potential downsides, not the least of which is a strong motivation to disguise 8.3 transfers as 8.2 style transactions.

Owen