[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Morizot Timothy S Timothy.S.Morizot at irs.gov
Thu Mar 20 17:41:00 EDT 2014

I'm not sure I see an actual conflict between 8.2 and the RSA. This is the relevant line, I think, from the RSA.

"However, ARIN may refuse to permit transfers or additional allocations of number resources
to Holder if Holder's Included Number Resources are not utilized in accordance with Policy."

8.2 doesn't say that ARIN will unilaterally revoke resources, it says it will work with the resource holder(s) to bring them back into compliance.

So taking those two together, if the resource holder chooses not to work with ARIN to come into compliance, the impact would be that the 8.2 transfer request may not be approved and future allocations or transfers may not be approved.

It's always been the case that organizations can use any numbers they want and, if they need them routed, can do so to the extent they can convince/pay other operators to route them. The registry doesn't simply record usage. It serves as a central mediating organization for number allocations that people can reference and from which they can receive services like reverse dns delegation. A number resource that isn't properly registered certainly seems to have diminished value.

I don't think I support the draft policy as written, though I'm still mulling it over.

Scott