[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-9: Resolve Conflict Between RSA and 8.2 Utilization Requirements

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Mar 20 16:42:28 EDT 2014

On 14-03-20 01:01 PM, Heather Schiller wrote:
> Remove from 8.2:
> "In the event that number resources of the combined organizations are no
> longer justified under ARIN policy at the time ARIN becomes aware of the
> transaction, through a transfer request or otherwise, ARIN will work
> with the resource holder(s) to return, aggregate, transfer, or reclaim
> resources as needed to restore compliance via the processes outlined in
> current ARIN policy."

I think this is important to keep in, so can we get the exact phrase
that is in conflict from the RSA Section 6 in this thread for
comparison. I included it, please adjust if not correct..

(Personally I would like to spend more time on the 'no longer justified
under ARIN Policy part..')

RSA 6: REVIEW OF HOLDER’S NUMBER RESOURCES
Whenever a transfer or additional IP address space is requested by
Holder, ARIN may review Holder’s utilization of previously allocated or
assigned number resources and other Services received from ARIN to
determine if Holder is complying with the Service Terms. Except as set
forth in this Agreement,
   (i) ARIN will take no action to reduce the Services currently
provided for Included Number Resources due to lack of utilization by the
Holder, and
   (ii) ARIN has no right to revoke any Included Number Resources under
this Agreement due to lack of utilization by Holder. However, ARIN may
refuse to permit transfers or additional allocations of number resources
to Holder if Holder’s Included Number Resources are not utilized in
accordance with Policy.

I have more of a problem with the RSA statement...

ARIN Enforcement is a challenge enough, and with the dearth of IP, it
seems that there are many cases for reclaimation's.

It can allow a loophole where people can hold on the the valuable
resource, and just play the transfer game ..

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
Remember, the N.A. ISP/Telecom Conference/Cruise Aug 2-9, 2014