[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2013-8: Subsequent Allocations for New Multiple Discrete Networks - Revised

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Wed Mar 5 11:50:58 EST 2014

On 3/5/2014 4:55 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>

> [ clip ]
>

>> Add the following statement to section 4.5.4.
>>
>> Upon verification that the organization has demonstrated need at its new
>> discrete network site, the new networks shall be allocated the minimum
>> allocation size under section 4.2.1.5 unless the organization can
>> demonstrate additional need using the immediate need criteria (4.2.1.6).
> Talk about locking someone out of a policy lock, stock and barrel and
> flushing "stewardship" down the drain completely. Most MDN users are
> going to go straight to 4.2.1.6 only to find that they are locked out
> because they aren't contracted as an ISP. They could buy another
> OrgID... and pay another exorbitant fee if qualified I guess. If we
> really want to limit users to a /22 why not do it across the board?
>
> I'm glad we moved beyond ARIN trying to define business terms between
> networks and ARIN customers, but we should move beyond this entirely
> and abandon it.

I disagree that this new text is a no-op or that it makes MDN user's
requests more difficult.  This policy is intended to make it _easier_
for orgs to get address space for new sites.

Under ARIN's current operational practice, ARIN is forcing MDN orgs to
use immediate need to get address space for a new site.  This policy is
intended to make it as easy as...Do you have a new site?  Yes> Does it
need address space (e.g. does it meet the original critieria already in
MDN 4.5.2) Yes>, then you can allocate the minimum allocation size
(currently /22) to the new site.  Done.

This policy does not limit you to a /22 per site, it only says that you
start with a /22 unless you can actually show that you need more right
away, then you can use a 30 day need to justify what size block to
allocate to a new site.

Andrew