[arin-ppml] Does ARIN do any follow-up on usage after granting IP(s)?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Mar 4 11:37:37 EST 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 8:03 PM, Spam Auditor <spamauditor at linuxmagic.com> wrote:

> inetnum:     191.97.0/20
> status:      allocated
> aut-num:     N/A
> owner:       PC Group PTY S.A.
> created:     20140106
> When you see that a /20 gets used immediately for outbound spam, randomized domain names, affiliate bulk email marketing.. hookupfinder..
>
> Is this an appropriate use of IP Space?

It appears that the IP address space is being assigned to various
computer systems that need to be connected to the Internet, which does
match the IP address policy in this region.  If you'd like different
address policy which considers specific types of usage "invalid" then
you should consider submitting a policy proposal suggesting such -
<https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_appendix_b.html>

I dislike spam as much as anyone, but ARIN must operate according to the
adopted policy and the type of enforcement that you suggest would need
to be carefully considered as it would result in a significant expansion
of ARIN's current mission.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran